Quality Deer Management Association
Minutes of April 8, 2000 Meeting, 3 PM at Jay's Sporting Goods
Meeting called to order by President Ed Spinazzola. Board members present: Ed Spinazzola, Phil Andres, Ted Novak, Bill Sclesky, Boyd Wiltse and Marc Yenkel. General membership and guest attendees: Jerry Lerette, Darryl McCallum, Irv Turner, Al Urban and Steve Wallace.
- Secretary Report: Boyd Wiltse reported that our membership continues to grow with paid-up members totaling 400. Also, we now have a simpler redirect Internet address of http://www.qdma.net for our website. Bruce Patterson motioned to accept secretary report as written for January meeting. Motion 2nd by Marc Yenkel. Motion carried.
- Treasurer Report: Phil Andres reported current bank balance of $2,332. Motion by Ted Novak and 2nd by Marc Yenkel to accept treasurer's report and pay all outstanding bills. Motion carried.
- Education Report: Ed Spinazzola reported that good progress was being made for our up-coming annual seminar scheduled for Saturday, September 16, 2000 at Jay's Sporting Goods. Initial contact and arrangements have been made for speakers, including Dr. James Kroll, Dr. Steve Schmitt, Tony LaPratt, and Doug Reeves.
- Motion by Ted Novak and 2nd by Boyd Wiltse to purchase 4,000 seminar flyers and also run advertising in the local newspapers. Motion carried. Boyd Wiltse will make printing arrangement. It was further agreed that a dinner would be provided to the speakers at the end of the day's program.
- Marquee advertisement for Sept. 16th seminar, and deer scoring/aging days at Jay's.
- Ed will contact MI Farm Bureau (Clare Chapter) to review/invite to the seminar, and discuss DMU 107 results and other QDM matters. Bruce Patterson and Marc Yenkel will set-up meeting in the June/July timeframe.
- Ed announced that ticket sales at Jay's have been scheduled for July 1, July 2, July 14, July 14, July 15, July16, August 12, August 19 and August 20. All members are encouraged to assist in the ticket sales.
- Ed Spinazzola and Boyd Wiltse provided positive feedback on the January 15th UP Superior Whitetails meeting, and the Feb 11th through 14th Deer Spectacular in Lansing. Other meetings discussed included the April 8th Michigan Conservation Foundation meeting that Ed was a featured speaker, and meetings with the DNR, including one scheduled for next week with Becky Humphries, MDNR Wildlife Division Chief and her staff.
- Hunter safety classes to be held at Jay's in June and July. Bruce Patterson, Marc Yenkel, Bill Sclesky and Frank Myers have volunteered to be facilitators at the classes. Volunteers are also requested for the August 12th (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) Jay's Kids Day. This is an outstanding event, great cause and a really fun day for all. A sign-up sheet was passed around and several members volunteered - thanks! If you would like to sign-up, please contact Boyd Wiltse (810-231-9560) or Jay's Sporting Goods - Ken Logan (517-386-3475).
- Announcements: The next regular quarterly meeting for the Mid-Michigan Branch QDMA will be Saturday, July 1, 2000, 12 Noon at Jay's Sporting Good's, On Old US 27, one mile north of Clare, MI.
As Ed says, let's keep the fun in hunting and deer management!
The meeting adjourned at 3:00 p.m.