Quality Deer Management Association
Minutes of July 1, 2000 Meeting, 12 PM at Jay's Sporting Goods
Meeting called to order by President Ed Spinazzola. Board members present: Ed Spinazzola, Phil Andres, Bob Jacobson, Frank Myers, Ted Novak, Bill Sclesky, Boyd Wiltse. General membership and guest attendees: Norm Engel, Sheila Jacobson, Bruce Patterson, Brian Reisner and Al Urban.
- Secretary Report: Boyd Wiltse reported that our membership continues to grow with paid-up members totaling 429. Ted Novak motioned to accept secretary report as written for the April meeting. Motion 2nd by Sheila Jacobson. Motion carried.
- Treasurer Report: Phil Andres reported current bank balance of $1,833 and unpaid bills totaling $1,193. Motion by Ted Novak and 2nd by Bruce Patterson to accept treasurer's report and pay all outstanding bills. Motion carried.
- Education Report: Ed Spinazzola reported that good progress was being made for our up-coming annual seminar scheduled for Saturday, September 16, 2000 at Jay's Sporting Goods. Initial contact and arrangements have been made for speakers, including Dr. James Kroll, Dr. Steve Schmitt, Tony LaPratt, and Doug Reeves. Other action items include youth education/hunt days, and meetings/displays with Farm Bureau and Woods.N.Water.
- Don't forget Jay's Day will be on August 12th (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) Jay's Kids Day. This is an outstanding event, great cause and a really fun day for all.
- 5,000 seminar flyers have been printed and circulation has commenced. Dinner will be provided to the speakers at the end of the day's program, and if you would like to attend, call-in your dinner reservation to Boyd or Ed.
- Marquee advertisement for Sept. 16th seminar, and deer scoring/aging days at Jay's.
- Remaining ticket sale days at Jay's have been scheduled for July 14, July 14, July 15, July16, August 12, August 19 and August 20. All members are encouraged to assist in the ticket sales.
- Ed will contact MI Farm Bureau (Clare Chapter) to review/invite to the seminar, and discuss DMU 107 results and other QDM matters. Meeting will be set-up in August.
- We will be represented at the Woods.N.Water show for September 8, 9 & 10 in Imlay City.
- Deer aging day at Rose Lake will be scheduled in early August.
- Several member properties have been volunteered for Mid-Michigan Branch sponsored youth hunts. Thanks!!!
- Bruce Patterson gave an overview of conservation/wildlife education programs, which serve as an outdoor ethics, experience based workshop for educators and conservationists. The objective is to teach the student how to see the land, to understand what he sees, and enjoy what he understands. The Learning Tree and Project Wildlife Programs have been very successful.
- Sheila Jacobson announced Another BEYOND BOW - PREPARATION FOR THE DEER HUNT - at Kelsey lake Lodge, Presque Isle County, September 22 - 24. Once again Virginia Pierce is sponsoring this extremely popular workshop that focuses on all aspects of deer hunting - including opportunities to shoot rifles, shotguns and archery, ethics, deer habitat and management. Sign-up details were discussed and will be included on our website.
- Announcements: The next regular quarterly meeting for the Mid-Michigan Branch QDMA will be Saturday, October 14, 2000, 12 Noon at Jay's Sporting Good's, On Old US 27, one mile north of Clare, MI.
As Ed says, let's keep the fun in hunting and deer management!
The meeting adjourned at 3:00 p.m.