Quality Deer Management Association
Minutes of October 14, 2000 Meeting, 12 Noon at Jay's Sporting Goods
Meeting called to order by President Ed Spinazzola. Board members present: Ed Spinazzola, Phil Andres, Bob Jacobson, Ted Novak, Bill Sclesky and Boyd Wiltse. General membership and guest attendees: Sheila Jacobson, Kyle Randall, Irv Turner and Al Urban.
- Secretary Report: Boyd Wiltse reported that our membership continues to grow with paid-up members totaling 440. Ted Novak motioned to accept secretary report as written for the October meeting. Motion 2nd by Sheila Jacobson. Motion carried.
- Treasurer Report: Phil Andres reported current bank balance of $6,190 and unpaid bills totaling $1,035. Motion by Ted Novak and 2nd by Bill Sclesky to accept treasurer's report and pay all outstanding bills. Motion carried.
www.Michigan-Sportsman.com web site. Polling results showed that close to 70 % want regulations, whereby a greater percentage of young bucks will be saved to improve sex ratios, and over 85% desire regulations that will encourage an adequate doe harvest to maintain deer numbers in balance with habitat, with a safety margin so habitat is not damaged.
Booklet on forming QDM cooperatives in development stage by QDMA and Mississippi University.
Deer map by state and joint 50/50 sharing of cost with Michigan DNR and Tri-County Sportsman Club donation.
Several member properties were volunteered for Mid-Michigan Branch sponsored youth hunts. Thanks!!!
- Education Report: Ed Spinazzola reported that we had eight QDM workshops for the year, and interest in these functions and QDM continues to increase. Ed also up-dated the group on National activities including the most recent QDMA Board meeting. We now have 10,600 members and are debt free. QDMA is also looking to establish a Branch Manager position. Other Michigan functions and activities covered were:
- August Farm Bureau Meeting.
- September 8,9 and 10th Woods.N.Water event in Imlay City -significant attendance and interest displayed at the Mid-Michigan QDMA booth.
- August 14th Jay's Day - positive feedback and appreciative of our effort.
- Cadillac TV shows featuring QDM.
- Marquee advertisement for deer scoring/aging days at Jay's.
- We will be represented at the Woods.N.Water show for September 8, 9 & 10 in Imlay City.
- QDM interest continues to increase as evidenced by polls run on the
- Mid-Michigan Branch mailing distribution: It was agreed that Mid-Michigan Branch mailings would be made primarily to Branch members and one or two mailings would made during the year to all Michigan QDMA members, in the interest of efficiency and effectiveness.
- Nominations for Directors: Sheila Jacobson proposed that our by-laws be amended to state that "there will be at least nine branch board members" (rather than nine members). Motion 2nd by al Urban. Motion carried unanimously.
- Sheila Jacobson announced Another BEYOND BOW - PREPARATION FOR THE DEER HUNT - at Kelsey lake Lodge, Presque Isle County, September 22 - 24. Once again Virginia Pierce is sponsoring this extremely popular workshop that focuses on all aspects of deer hunting - including opportunities to shoot rifles, shotguns and archery, ethics, deer habitat and management. Sign-up details were discussed and will be included on our website.
- Announcements: The next regular quarterly meeting for the Mid-Michigan Branch QDMA will be Sunday, January 21, 2001, 1 PM at Jay's Sporting Good's, On Old US 27, one mile north of Clare, MI.
As Ed says, let's keep the fun in hunting and deer management!
The meeting adjourned at 3:00 p.m.