Mid-Michigan Branch Quality Deer Management Association
Minutes of April 7, 2001 Meeting
Meeting called to order by President Ed Spinazzola. Attendees: Ed Spinazzola, Phil Andres, Marvin Aranowski, Bob Eggle, Norm Engel, Sheila Jacobson, Richard King, Frank Myers, Bruce Patterson, Bill Sclesky, Ron Southwell, Al Urban, John Urquhart, Jim Wetters, Carl Wheeler and Boyd Wiltse.
- Secretary Report: Boyd Wiltse reported that our membership continues to grow with paid-up members totaling about 600. Bruce Patterson moved to accept secretary report as written for the January meeting. Motion 2nd by Bill Sclesky. Motion carried.
- Treasurer Report: Phil Andres reported current bank balance of $1,164. The 2000 calendar year expenses and revenue amounted to $8,256 and $7,438, respectively, or a net loss for the year of $818. Motion by Richard King and 2nd by Frank Myers to accept Treasurer's report. Motion carried.
- Education Report: Ed Spinazzola updated members on educational accomplishments for the year, including several workshops held throughout the State. He also emphasized that we have a continued need to establish more Branches, as the demand for deer management information increases at a very fast pace in the State. QDMA National continues to expand and now has five fulltime employees. Some other activities covered were:
- February 3rd Town Hall meeting for feedback on the DMU 107 Demonstration.
- January 27th Thumb Area Branch Seminar.
- Michigan QDMA booth at the Deer and Turkey Spectacular, February 9, 10 and 11th.
- First Annual National Quality Deer Management Association Convention - Saturday, March 3, 2001, Athens, GA.
- Booklet on forming QDM cooperatives in development stage by QDMA and Mississippi University.
- Deer map by state and joint 50/50 sharing of cost with Michigan DNR and Tri County Sportsman Club donation.
- Up-coming April 29 QDM presentation at Tuscola Archers.
- Labor Day QDMA booth and presentations to be included in the Woods.N.Water show.
- Ed reported that we continue to closely with appropriate state personnel in coming up with a proposal to create foodplots on public land. Possible core group supporters include Safari International, Pheasants Forever, Whitetails Unlimited and QDMA.
- Committee meeting dates and planning were established for the September 22nd Mid-Michigan Branch banquet.
- QDMA Billboard: It was agreed to spend $350 for a QDMA billboard By Lamar Advertising. A billboard committee was appointed to determine the most appropriate location and timing. Committee members are Richard King, Frank Myers and Bill Sclesky.
Announcements: Next quarterly general meeting will be held October 13, 2001, 12 Noon at Jay's Sporting Goods, Clare, MI.