Quality Deer Management Association
Minutes of July 10, 1999 Meeting, 12 noon at Jay's Sporting Goods
Meeting called to order by President Ed Spinazzola. Board members present: Ed Spinazzola, Phil Andres, Bob Jacobson, Frank Myers, Perry Russo, Marc Yenkel and Boyd Wiltse. General membership and guest attendees: Joey Burk, Rian Andres, Don Dawson, Norm Engel, Bruce Greehoe, Randy Hebner, John Houvener, Chad Huber, Randy Hebden, Sheila Jacobson, Jerry Lerette, Harold "Mac" McKellar, Dave Parsons, Dave Steenhuizen, Al Urban.
- Secretary Report: Boyd Wiltse reported that our membership continues to grow and paid-up members now exceed 300. Sheila Jacobson motioned to accept secretary report as written for April meeting. Motion 2nd by Frank Myers. Motion carried.
- Treasurer Report: Phil Andres reported current bank balance of $1,553 less outstanding operating expenses of about $400. Motion by Sheila Jacobson and 2nd by Frank Myers to accept treasurer's report and pay all outstanding bills. Motion carried.
- Education Report: Ed Spinazzola reported that he recently talked with Dr. Karl V. Miller and everything is a go for our featured Seminar speaker, and Tony LaPratt, noted trophy deer hunter and deer management specialist, has accepted an invitation to be a guest speaker. Ed handed out the printed agenda and discussed the particulars. It was further agreed that John Ozooga and Dr. Karl Miller would jointly be available for the discussion period at the end of the day.
Marc Yenkel motioned that the Branch purchases 3,000 seminar flyers. Motion 2nd by Frank Myers and motion carried. Boyd Wiltse will make printing arrangement. It was further agreed that a dinner at the Doherty Hotel would be provided to the speakers at the end of the day's program.
Ed also provided an overview of the following planned actions:
- Three (3) hunter surveys at Jay's and to be counted by Jay's.
- Sept. 18th QDM seminar.
- Oct 1st through Jan. 1st continued survey.
- Townhall meeting in January.
- Deer aging and scoring days to be determined. Time could be from 10:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Include prizes (see Marc Yenkel motion below).
- Article in Jay's newsletter about the DMU 107 story, goals, scoring days and possible survey.
- Flyers at Jay's for Sept. 18th seminar and flyers at Jay's after the seminar explaining the DMU 107 story, goals, scoring days and opposite side survey.
- Marquee advertisement for Sept. 18th seminar and scoring days at Jay's.
- Boyd Wiltse will develop survey questions to for the survey of DMU 107 hunters and landowners.
- Marc Yenkel presented an overview of the History of the DMU 107 initiative (minimum of 3 antler pts. on one side) passed by the NRC at their June Ludington meeting. This gives us a tremendous opportunity to spread the QDM message throughout the State. Marc also advised that we want to check as many deer harvested by hunters as possible. We will be scheduling deer check days at Jay's in addition to checking various deer camps, processors, etc.
Marc will make arrangements for obtaining QDM property signs (with the QDM objectives) to be passed out to all hunters presenting their deer at Jay's. Motion 2nd by Bob Jacobson. Motion carried.
Also, Marc proposed that we allocate $500 for prizes to encourage hunters to bring their deer to Jay's for inspection as to age, antlers, TB, etc.
- Perry Russo advised that formation of the Thumb Area Branch has been finalized. Perry also up-dated the group as to the excellent turnout and feed back received on the Thumb Area QDM workshops, plus up-coming workshops scheduled in Caro and Ubly, July 13th and August 14th, respectively.
Dave Parsons also spoke of the QDM interest in the Charlevoix area!
- Bruce Greenhoe volunteered to contact Farm Bureau in his area to determine what, who and when we can present something on QDM to Farm Bureau representatives that could lead to Farm Bureau supporting QDM. Thanks Bruce!
- Ed discussed possibly presenting a statewide QDM initiative to the NRC for next year. Boyd Wiltse motioned that we develop a statewide initiative to protect 1½ bucks and present it to the NRC during the 1st quarter of 2000. Marc Yenkel 2nd the motion. Motion carried.
- Ed mentioned the up-coming Jay's Kids Day, August 14th from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. A sign-up sheet was passed around and several members volunteered - thanks! This is a great cause and is very rewarding from a personal standpoint. If you would like to sign-up, please contact Boyd Wiltse (810-231-9560) or Jay's Sporting Goods - Ken Logan (517-386-3475).
- Announcements: The next regular quarterly meeting for the Mid-Michigan Branch QDMA will be Saturday, October 9, 1999, 12 Noon at Jay's Sporting Good's, On Old US 27, one mile north of Clare, MI.
As Ed says, let's keep the fun in hunting and deer management!
The meeting adjourned at 3:00 p.m.